Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Why I Unreservedly Endorse Barack Obama

For the past few months, I have been unable to make up my mind between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

But my choice was made when it dawned upon me how Clinton is a symbol of the establishment and Obama is the call for change.

For Hillary Clinton, she has time and again emphasised her ability to be “commander in chief from day one” and often cites her experience in the government as a plus point. I must admit I found that argument pretty convincing.

However, as I listened to her speak after winning Ohio last night in the presidential primary, I felt a haunting sense of déjà vu. Her promises of being the best-prepared candidate are exactly the kinds of argument that the ruling party in Singapore uses every single time there is an election.

Deriding her opponent as nothing but an empty call for change is the same as how Lee Kuan Yew described opposition rallies as nothing but cheap entertainment that Singaporeans go to.

Declaring that Barack Obama will not be prepared to take the reins of the government is also akin to the scare tactic that the PAP often uses. Vote the opposition in and they will bring Singapore into ruin they say.

I have often told my friends to get real, that a few opposition members in the parliament will not cause Singapore’s economy to collapse overnight. Why did it take me so long to see through Clinton’s attacks?

Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton both promise a change in the way government functions. But the fact is Clinton is simply too entrenched in the political system, having been in Washington so long. With someone owing so many favours to politicians and donors alike, how much can she possibly venture off the beaten track?

As for Obama, having not much experience might really work against him. But if we don’t give him the chance to prove himself, where is that experience going to come from. Just like if we never give the opposition in Singapore the chance to appear in parliament, where are they going to get the opportunity to speak up for Singaporeans?

Listen to Obama and you will know that his calls for change are not empty. Just be glad that we get to hear him on TV. To hear a proper opposition standpoint, one has to go stand in an opposition rally. The press rarely, if ever, reports it.

And so as a person who finds much reason to support the opposition I cannot but feel a need to support Obama. As a person who feels the establishment is so arrogant they think they have a god-given right to rule, I cannot but feel Clinton’s current fall from grace is a kick up her ass that she needs.

One can only hope the people of Singapore gets the guts to kick our government up its ass soon.